If you are changing your Android smartphone and wondering how to transfer your data from an old Android smartphone to a new one, this guide is for you. Transferring your data from the old to the new Android smartphone is surely a long process, but we’ll walk you every step of the way to make it easier for you. Let’s dive right in.
How to backup data on your old Android smartphone
The first step in transferring your data from an old Android smartphone to a new one is to back up the data. Fortunately, the process of backing up data is quite straightforward and easy on the Android smartphone. Data like contacts, call logs, SMS and other settings are automatically synced with Google Drive, so you won’t have to worry about this data.
Before switching to your new smartphone, it’s important to make sure that your data is synced with Google Drive.
Here is how you can do it
- Swipe down from the top of the screen and tap the gear icon to access settings. Otherwise, go to the home menu, find the Settings app and tap on it.
- Once you’re in settings, scroll down and find the System section .
- Press it.
- Now search for Backup & Restore and tap on it.
- In this section, make sure that the backup to Google is turned on and that it is synced with the correct Gmail account.
- Now press Save and in this section you will find the last time your data was synced.
- Tap Back up now and the smartphone will start to sync the latest data.
- That’s it.
How to transfer photos and videos to your new Android smartphone
When it comes to transferring photos and videos, it is surely a very long process, and you have two options which you can use to transfer all your photos and videos.
- Manual transfer
- Transfer via Google Photos
How to Manually Transfer Photos and Videos to a New Smartphone
If you want to transfer your photos and videos manually, there are two ways you can do it. The first is to transfer all your photos and videos to an SD card and then use that SD card on your new smartphone to transfer all the data.
The second way is to transfer all the data to your computer and then transfer it to your new smartphone. We will not recommend that you use this process as it is extremely long and if something goes wrong you can potentially lose access to your data.
How to Transfer Photos and Videos to New Phone Using Google Photos (Recommended)
If you want to transfer your photos and videos without any problem, Google Photos is a great option for you. It is a very useful service that you can use to backup your photos and videos seamlessly.
The best thing about Google Photos is that it allows you to store an unlimited number of high quality photos, which you won’t find on any other service. So if you want to make sure that you never lose access to your photos and videos, you can just store them on Google Photos. Here is how you can do it.
- Open the Google Photos app on your smartphone.
- Now press the Plus button in the upper left corner of the screen.
- Touch Settings .
- In the settings, tap Save and sync .
Make sure Back and Sync is on.
Google Photo will periodically sync photos and videos with the service. Once done, you can switch to your new smartphone.
How to restore data to your new Android smartphone
After the backup is complete, you can move on to setting up the new smartphone and restoring the data. Let’s do it.
- Switch on your new smartphone.
- Select the language of your device and press Start .
- Connect your smartphone to your Wifi.
- Once the phone is connected to Wifi, the smartphone will display Copy apps and data . Press Next .
- Now the next screen will show the different options.
- Tap Back up from an Android phone .
- The following screens will display the instructions you need to follow to complete the transfer process.
Make sure you have the old smartphone with you as you will need to authorize the transfer request. Now follow the next steps on your old smartphone .
- Open the settings on your old smartphone.
- Find the Google section and tap on it.
- Now tap on Configure and restore .
- Tap Configure nearby device and tap Next .
- You will be asked to verify the models on both devices to establish the connection.
- Once it is established, you will be asked to confirm your screen lock.
- On the next screen, it will show “Copy to your new device?” And press Copy .
Continue to follow the displayed instructions and you will be good to go. After the setup is completed, the smartphone will need some time to download all the apps and other data. Likewise, you will find all your photos and videos in Google Photos. The device will also sync all your contacts and other data with your new smartphone once the Google account is synced.